The Parish of St. Andrew dates back to 1150 when it was situated just outside the Dublin City Wall on a site deemed to be that of the Danish temple of Thor and Fregjja.
During the Penal days, Catholics were prohibited from public practice of their liturgy and were forced to worship in the makeshift chapels. It was in one such chapel in Townsend Street that a chimney stack collapsed and fell through the roof on top of a Mass attending congregation, killing and injuring many people. This tragedy became the turning point for Catholics. Public sympathy enabled the city officials to permit the building of places for Catholic worship.
A site was procured in Townsend Street and construction work for the new church began. The building was well progressed when a new and better site was proposed at Westland Row. Controversy ensued until agreement was reached at a public meeting with Daniel O'Connell present. The famous Catholic Association, which was to lead to Catholic Emancipation, had its origins at this meeting.
The Foundation stone for St. Andrew's, Westland Row, was laid by Rev. Dr. Blake on the 30th April 1832. The Church was opened and blessed in 1843 at a total cost of 26,536-3s-6d.